Many people know Boulder City as the gateway to the Hoover Dam. But there’s much more small-town charm to be found in this charming small town.
From antique stores to touring a century-old mine, the city is filled with unique activities. Here are 10 ways to spend a day enjoying some of the fun Boulder City has to offer:
1. Antique shopping: Boulder City has several quaint antique shops with just about everything you can imagine. Check out Goat Feathers Emporium, Sherman’s House of Antiques, Boulder City Antique Market & Auction House, Bella Marketplace and more. You’ll also find several boutique stories along the way.
2. Dining experiences: There’s no shortage of delicious meals at diner-style, mom-and-pop restaurants, including the Coffee Cup Café (featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives), Little City Grille, Southwest Diner, Boulder Pit Stop and more. From craft beers to steak dinners, there’s a wide range of dining options.
3. Go ziplining: Ready to get your adrenaline pumping? Soar over Bootleg Canyon on four separate zip lines on your mile-and-a-half journey with Flightlinez. It’s open every day of the year.
4. Bighorn sheep: On the path toward Lake Mead is Hemenway Valley Park, adjacent to a mountainside that is also home to dozens of bighorn sheep that graze in the park most afternoons.
5. Tour a mine: Just a few miles outside of Boulder City in Nelson, Nevada, is the historical Techatticup Mine, the oldest gold mine in Southern Nevada. Eldorado Canyon Mine Tours offers historic tours of the mine, photo shoots, movie backdrops, and canoe/kayak rentals.
6. Annual events: Boulder City is home to year-round events and activities. The annual Spring Jamboree in May is a family-friendly event with plenty of arts, crafts, and even a classic hot-rod show. On July 4, celebrate your independence at Boulder City Damboree. Each October, more than 100,000 visitors attend Art in the Park, one of the largest juried art festivals in the Southwest. It’s free and features more than 300 artists.
7. Lake Mead activities: There’s fun for everyone at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, including jet skiing, boating, fishing, and paddle boarding.
8. Kayaking: Go on an adventure and explore scenic Lake Mead and the Colorado River. Take a guided kayaking tour and really make some waves!
9. Nevada Southern Railway Museum: Take a peek into the history of train travel in Nevada at the Southern Railway Museum and hop aboard for a 35-minute train ride.
10. The Hoover Dam: And last but definitely not least, the man-made wonder that can’t-be-missed. You can do much more than just take pictures. Take a Hoover Dam tour inside the facility. Or check out the Visitors Center and learn about the history of the dam. You can also take a helicopter tour from Las Vegas and make it a day trip.